Let’s be real for a second…it can be a challenge to get excited about broccoli. Stop it! Don’t lie to yourself! It’s nothing to be ashamed of. Drown it in butter, smother it in cheese, fry it for all I care! In my mind, if broccoli is going to go down, it doesn’t matter how you get it there.
Having said that, these fritters really don’t have to be so unhealthy. Use turkey bacon, egg whites, and olive oil for a toned down version.But please, for the love of all things holy, do NOT USE LOWFAT CHEESE. It’s just wrong, seriously.
Also, the Greek yogurt sauce is very tangy, which is love…but if you’re not such a big fan, think ketchup, fried eggs, or even going all out and putting the fritter on a salad! Enjoy!
(Makes about 4-5 fritters)
-3 cups chopped broccoli
-1/2 cup flour
-1 egg (or two egg whites)
-2 slices cooked bacon (turkey bacon can be used)
-1/3 cup Parmesan or cheddar cheese (or a mixture of your favorites-just include some parm for bonding purposes!
-salt and pepper to taste
-vegetable or olive oil
1) Steam the broccoli for 5-7 minutes, or until very tender. Cutting of the stalks will decrease the cooking time. Set aside.
2) Mix egg, cheese, flour, bacon, and seasonings in a large bowl.
3) Add broccoli. Mash with the back of a spoon into the dough and mix until broccoli is well incorporated.
4) Heat enough oil in the bottom of a pan to cover it and form patties as you put them in the pan. Cool for 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
5) Combine salt, pepper, and the juice of one lemon with 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt for a quick sauce and top fritters.